Welcome to the SpeakOut! Blog

Break the silence that surrounds sexual assault, sexual harassment, interpersonal violence, relationship abuse, stalking, hate crimes, and identity-based violence. Share your story here on our anonymous blog.

To speak about an experience with any form of interpersonal violence is difficult, but it is also empowering. Breaking the silence reduces shame and helps others to speak out about their own experiences.

End the shame. Be empowered. Speak Out!

Thank you for Speaking Out! We would love to get your permission to share your testimonial. If you would like to allow your testimonial to be used at a later Speak Out!, please let us know by making a comment or a note in your testimonial.

We are holding our spring Speak Out! on April 16th, 2018 from 7-9 pm in The Pit. For more information, check our Facebook page.

Because this blog features stories of interpersonal and sexual violence, we offer this *content warning* as a way of caution. We also ask that you do not reproduce any of the content below, as the authors of these personal stories are anonymous, and cannot give consent for their stories to appear anywhere other than this blog or at a Project Dinah-led SpeakOut event.

Monday, March 23, 2009

He was the All-American boy: blue eyed captain of the football team, son of a prominent lawyer, and the desire of every girl around him.

I was an awkward introvert with braces and boobs that got bigger every day.

He lived in my neighborhood. Sometimes he walked to the creek with me and we talked. Wanting to be wanted, I invited him over to watch a movie when my mom was gone.

He put a hand over my mouth and told me I would never say anything about what he was going to do if I knew what was good for me.

He raped me. I was 15.

I was too shocked to move. I tried to scream, to speak, but the words got lost in my vocal chords.

It took me almost five years to tell anyone. It took almost five years of struggling with chronic depression, anorexia, and self-hatred for me to realize that it wasn't my fault.

Don't wait five years. Don't wait five minutes. Please, speak out.

No comments: