Welcome to the SpeakOut! Blog

Break the silence that surrounds sexual assault, sexual harassment, interpersonal violence, relationship abuse, stalking, hate crimes, and identity-based violence. Share your story here on our anonymous blog.

To speak about an experience with any form of interpersonal violence is difficult, but it is also empowering. Breaking the silence reduces shame and helps others to speak out about their own experiences.

End the shame. Be empowered. Speak Out!

Thank you for Speaking Out! We would love to get your permission to share your testimonial. If you would like to allow your testimonial to be used at a later Speak Out!, please let us know by making a comment or a note in your testimonial.

We are holding our spring Speak Out! on April 16th, 2018 from 7-9 pm in The Pit. For more information, check our Facebook page.

Because this blog features stories of interpersonal and sexual violence, we offer this *content warning* as a way of caution. We also ask that you do not reproduce any of the content below, as the authors of these personal stories are anonymous, and cannot give consent for their stories to appear anywhere other than this blog or at a Project Dinah-led SpeakOut event.

Monday, March 23, 2009

I wrote the entry “I feel like whenever bad things happen” about a year and a half ago. Sometimes I feel like I’m doing everything you’re “supposed to” as far as trying to deal with sexual violence. I have talked to some of my friends; I have gone to talk to a therapist. I can tell that things have changed for me. Sometimes I still feel like I can’t trust any guy. Sometimes I feel like I’m right back where I started. Sometimes I feel like it happened to someone else. Sometimes I actually feel like there is another side beyond all of this.

I wish that I could talk about it more. I wish I could walk around unafraid to say “this happened to me.” Usually I just try not to think about it anymore. But what happens when I want to have sex again? Will it all come back again? I wish more people could understand how dramatically this alters your worldview and your ideas about sexuality. There’s always this constant struggle between letting it define you or not. Do you try to just get as far away as possible from it? Do you try to take control over it?

I wish I could forget this experience more than anything, but sometimes I wonder what I’m supposed to do with it. I can’t believe how many people have similar experiences. While none of them are the same, they are all related. I feel like I can’t pretend that this didn’t happen to me when I know how many people are affected so strongly. I don’t know how to do anything except write another blog post at this point…how can we get through this?

No comments: