Welcome to the SpeakOut! Blog

Break the silence that surrounds sexual assault, sexual harassment, interpersonal violence, relationship abuse, stalking, hate crimes, and identity-based violence. Share your story here on our anonymous blog.

To speak about an experience with any form of interpersonal violence is difficult, but it is also empowering. Breaking the silence reduces shame and helps others to speak out about their own experiences.

End the shame. Be empowered. Speak Out!

Thank you for Speaking Out! We would love to get your permission to share your testimonial. If you would like to allow your testimonial to be used at a later Speak Out!, please let us know by making a comment or a note in your testimonial.

We are holding our spring Speak Out! on April 16th, 2018 from 7-9 pm in The Pit. For more information, check our Facebook page.

Because this blog features stories of interpersonal and sexual violence, we offer this *content warning* as a way of caution. We also ask that you do not reproduce any of the content below, as the authors of these personal stories are anonymous, and cannot give consent for their stories to appear anywhere other than this blog or at a Project Dinah-led SpeakOut event.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

I always wanted to sugar coat it. Instead of saying I was molested at 7 and raped at 17, I would say I was touched when I was 7 and taken advantage of when I was 17. Having that realization was very hard and kind-of made the whole experience that much more real. For the longest time I blamed myself for putting myself in a bad position and being so naïve. I blamed myself for staying in an awful relationship full of manipulation and loneliness. I blamed myself for becoming used solely for sex by my then-boyfriend. I dated him because I so firmly believed it was my fault and sought to justify it and to make what happened seem more legitimate. I never told my friends that I didn’t actually want to do it.

However, it took 3 years to acknowledge that it was a huge thing that happened and that it wasn’t my fault. I had been pushing away everyone around me and most of all, Jesus. Please don’t stop reading just because I mentioned Jesus. From the bottom of my heart, I don’t know how I could’ve gotten through without Him and I have a peace about it that I never thought was possible. I have let go of the feelings of anger, guilt and shame and you know what, I really just had to forgive myself and let go of these feelings of self-guilt.

I’m not gonna say it has been a cake walk. Just because I believe in Him and that I believe He rescued me from death it is still a struggle everyday to release the pain and I have to continually forgive myself and the people who’ve wronged me. I have still cried myself to sleep because a guy made me feel uncomfortable for no apparent reason. But I have this hope that I cannot begin to explain. Even through all the heartache and pain I’ve experienced I still am thankful for everything in my life, including this. It has become a part of me and I’ve gotten healing by spreading my story and realizing how many other women have been affected by something like this. There is hope for attaining healing. Please, don't forget that.

No comments: